Bcst Connect

The abc of trending content

Manchester City vs Manchester United 2-3 Highlights 8th January 2012

The biggest game in the third round of the English FA Cup between Manchester City and Manchester United at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday 8th January 2012 1:00 PM GMT ended surprisingly with the score 2-3. Manchester United managed to overcome their last two failures and performed well to win Man City with two goals from Wayne Rooney at 10’ & 39’ and another from Danny Welbeck at 30’ in the first half of the game in which Man City captain Vincent Kompany was sent off after just 12 minutes for a two-footed tackle on Nani. Manchester City was given a hope after the break with two goals through a brilliant Aleksandar Kolarov’s free-kick at 48’ and Sergio Aguero at 64’. The match marked Premier League leaders City’s first home defeat since December 2010 and reminded them that Manchester United remain in the way of their bid for domestic dominance.

Team line-ups:

Manchester City (4-3-3): Pantilimon; Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov; De Jong, Milner, Nasri; Johnson, Aguero, Silva. Subs: Hart, Clichy, Zabaleta, Savic, Hargreaves, Razak, Suarez.

Manchester United (4-4-2): Lindegaard; Smalling, Jones, Ferdinand, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Nani; Rooney, Welbeck. Subs: De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Anderson, Park, Hernandez, Scholes.

Paul Scholes warms up with his team mates ahead of his Manchester United return at the FA Cup Third Round match taken place at the Etihad Stadium on 8th January 2012 in Manchester, England

Manchester City vs Manchester United 2-3 Highlights: Wayne Rooney scores the opening goal at 10’, two minutes before City captain Vincent Kompany is sent off for a two-footed challenge on Nani

Manchester City vs Manchester United 2012 Highlights: Wayne Rooney celebrates his opening goal, bringing Man Utd the hope after only 10 minutes for starting

Before the game, Man City sits on top of the table in the English Premier League with 48 points while MU is three behind them with 45 points after losing their last two league games. For the first time in English footballing history, the top two sides in the table meet in the third round of the FA Cup. The two teams have previously met in the third round of the FA Cup back on 10th January 1987 in which Man Utd were able to win the match 1-0 thanks to a 66th minute goal from Norman Whiteside. With their two losses in a row, 3-2 at home to Blackburn and 3-0 in Newcastle, Manchester United comes into this clash in poor form while Manchester City defeated Liverpool 3-0 in their last game, but lost 1-0 in Sunderland in the match before that. Interestingly, if United had lost this game it would have been the first time they’ve lost three in a row in more than 10 years.

Referee Chris Foy sends off Vincent Kompany and shows him a red card for a two-footed tackle on Nani at 12’

United takes full advantage of their numerical advantage as Danny Welbeck volleys past Pantilimon and scores his team’s second goal at 30’

Danny Welbeck’s superb volley put MU two up

Wayne Rooney scores…

Read the full article from the Source…

Back to Top