Islamic extremists who stormed a resort area in Mali popular with foreigners killed four people, including a Portuguese soldier who had been serving in the European Union mission to stabilize this West African country wracked by mounting extremism, authorities said Monday.
The death toll rose after a Malian soldier who was wounded in the Sunday afternoon attack died of his injuries. Two civilians, including a French-Gabonese dual national, also were slain in the worst terror attack to strike Bamako since late 2015
EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said “a Malian colleague working for the European delegation” was among the dead, accounting for the second civilian.
Mali’s special forces arrived on the scene not long after the reports of gunfire erupting from Campement Kangaba, known for its three swimming pools and serene surroundings as an escape from the bustling capital’s heat and traffic.
Initially the country’s security minister said one of the wounded attackers had managed to escape but on Monday officials said they had accounted for all the jihadists.
“At this hour, all of the terrorists have been killed. The situation is under control,” Mali’s Security Minister Salif Traore told The Associated Press.
Witnesses described a chaotic scene Sunday afternoon, with one man saying the first jihadist on the scene arrived by motorcycle shouting “Allah Akbar.” Three others subsequently arrived in a vehicle and began firing their weapons. One of the attackers was subdued by a French soldier who happened to be at Campement Kangaba on the weekend.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which took place amid the final week of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. However, the attack resembled a number of others carried out by the local affiliate of al-Qaida in West Africa over the past two years.
It was not immediately known how the attackers managed to breach security at the Campement Kangaba, where officials from the EU and U.N….